Just to chip in on the subject of benchmarking as well.  I'm not a
huge fan of apache ab.  I've run into issues with it in the past when
testing php based sites. Results like those indicating that a
framework can outperform a simple php script make me question its
truthfulness.  I find that siege gives more consistent and realistic
results.

Its great to see that people are concerned about the performance that
cake has.  Its something that I and others on the core team have spent
a fair amount of improving when working on 1.3.  I'm glad to see see
that others were able to reproduce the speed improvements I saw when,
I last ran benchmarks as well :)

-Mark

On Mar 8, 4:45 am, WebbedIT <p...@webbedit.co.uk> wrote:
> > Gee! Now I am really confused... Ferrari 599 is 1.2.6 and Prius is
> > 1.3.0-RC1?
>
> Lol, not quite, I compared your test to testing the newest model of a
> Ferrari against the outgoing model but using the criteria that we
> would use to test the Toyota.  Made sense to me :)
>
> > Anyway, the whole idea of hello world benchmarks is to assess the
> > frameworks weight.
>
> But you cannot assess the weight of a framework if the test doesn't t
> stress the majority of that framework.
>
> > Even though you and I do not agree on this methodology, I do bet you
> > want too a lean framework capable to deliver as many requests/second
> > as possible.
>
> I would be very interested to look at similar benchmarking on a large
> app.  Hopefully I will be in a position to do this later in the year
> as I am currently developing a multi-subdomain sector dedicated portal
> which should get a lot of traffic in Cake 1.2.6 and once I have the
> money to hire a development team I will be asking them to port the
> site to 1.3 and compare the two.
>
> > Should you think there is a better way to assess this measure, please
> > tell me, I am glad to know of it.
>
> I don't know of a better way as I'm yet to develop or run a site where
> it's performance has been called into question.  I can tell you that a
> client of mine who moved from a large bespoke CMS I coded (before I
> started using Cake) to Drupal has had a nightmare ever since.
>
> But the two systems were never comparable and I very much doubt the
> client will pay me to replicate his existing site with Cake and
> compare the performance of the two (I'd bet a lot of money on Cake
> performing better) but even if I could do this how would I make the
> test a fair comparison?
>
> For now myself and all my clients are very happy with cake 1.2.x
> performance and from your test it seems 1.3 is better so hoorah!

their CakePHP related questions.