Hey guys, thank you everyone for your insights and suggestions!

First of all, this is an experiment, a proof of a concept I thought
about for a while, and it wasn't meant to replace anything that works
well. I actually thought of it as something that I, myself, would find
useful and convenient, and maybe I am the only person in the world
that thought that way, but usually there's someone else too. :)

Indeed, I've never heard anyone complaining about entering password,
cause it is totally something everyone used to, but sometimes we could
try something new and see how it works. Again, this is not meant as a
replacement for entering password, but rather as an alternative. Users
are usually advised not to have one password for all websites, and
while it is true that users might have password managers, it is not
always easy to sync them between computers.

Say, you happened to be somewhere without your password manager around
and it clicked you that you want to visit an other web-app and you
only remember password for your e-mail. Okay, I've myself been a
member of a social kind of website, which sends me notifications about
new messages and the links are auto-authorizing, and then I caught
myself doing something: not having a password manager around I looked
through my emals for the auto-authorizing links to enter the site. And
I thought to myself: those links are of multiple use, which is
convenient, but is it secure? Would it be better if I could somehow
just 'summon' an authorizing link, without having to reset password if
i don't remember it, or don't have it around now?

So, to answer why I'm making this system, it is to streamline
experience especially of new users. Entering email and following the
link from inbox is the shortest way for registration I can think of.

jacmoe, thanks for the link.

Jamie, Dave, "WhenDidYouLast.com" isn't yet a complete implementation
of what I have described, but only the basic core of it, and it seemed
to work fine for many of it's users. Todo: allow user to enter
password and login with it; allow user to plug several emails to the
account.

And chill guys, it's just a concept and I'm just testing it on a
simple freshly baked app, and if it fails, screw it :) I'll just keep
it as an optional proof-of-concept that nobody is really forced to
implement on their websites.

Thanks again for the insights,
Yura



On Mar 14, 10:44 pm, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I understand the RPX setup but for this idea where you just enter your email
> and a verification like gets sent to your email to click login mkes no sense
> what so ever.
>
> I waited 2 mins to get my confirmation email..by then I said to hell with it
> and gone...will never go back to the site. Since day 1 of the internet its
> been username / password...if its to hard to remember a username and
> password would me have online banking / facebook / hotmail / ???
>
> The ironic part of this whole question is "WhenDidYouLast.com"...when did
> you last remember your password :)
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf
>
> Of jacmoe
> Sent: March-14-10 6:00 PM
> To: CakePHP
> Subject: Re: Concept of seamless registration
>
> The answer is to use RPX and one of the many providers, like Google, OpenID,
> Twitter, whatever.
> After the initial registration - which you can do when you're not at your
> buddys house - all you ever need is username/password.
> And that's neat. :)
>
> Jacob
>
> On Mar 13, 11:06 pm, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Ok but im at my buddy house and I want to login in and I don’t have my
> > email account set up at his house? Or im at work and want to check out
> > something when the boss is not looking sure the email is sent to my
> > email account but I don’t want to set up an email account on every
> > computer I use. Much easier to remember my password than it is to
> > remember the slew of info to setup and email account.
>
> > Also when I want to login I have to wait for the email to be sent to
> > me. If there is a delay I have to sit there waiting send and receive
> > until I get it?
>
> > Seems like a lot of trouble when I don’t think anyone has isses with
> > what works. Username and Password...but that’s just my opinion. I
> > personally would not wait for an email to login. I want to login in
> > now when I wnt to...not when I get an email saying ok you good to go.
>
> > Dave
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
> > Behalf
>
> > Of Jamie
> > Sent: March-13-10 4:22 PM
> > To: CakePHP
> > Subject: Re: Concept of seamless registration
>
> > Just curious... why are you making this system? Have your users
> > complained in the past about needing a password to login? I've
> > developed a lot of websites and haven't had one user complain about
> > needing to enter a password, but who knows.
>
> > The reason I'm asking this is because, in my experience, users like
> > what's already familiar to them. What you're proposing - just using an
> > email link instead of the traditional login/password system - is a
> > pretty radical change. While the more tech savvy people like you and I
> > might understand the benefits of such a system, your average user -
> > you know, the kind who calls their browser "the internet", enters URLs
> > into Google instead of the browser bar, etc. - might be a little scared of
> your method.
>
> > - Jamie
>
> > On Mar 10, 8:15 pm, Yura Linnyk <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hello fellow bakers,
>
> > > I've just baked a simple web-app,http://WhenDidYouLast.com, where I
> > > implemented a proof of concept I had been thinking for a while - a
> > > passwordless seamless registration, where you don't have to register
> > > and don't have to remember you password, just enter your email,
> > > check your inbox for authorizing link and voila, you are logged in.
>
> > > Now I'd like to ask an advise of the community. Do you see any
> > > security pitfalls in the idea? Is it not convenient? or lame in any
> > > way? :) Personally when I get registered at a next web-app I catch
> > > myself thinking about why wouldn't they let me in this simple way
> > > and not make me think of a password, save it somewhere etc. and just
> > > have me visit my inbox. Unless it is my bank's account, of couse, or
> > > a larger scale app. And most of web-apps allow me to reset my
> > > password with my email anyway. A couple of websites I am registered
> > > at, send me auto-login link when i get a new PM, but still require
> > > me to remember password if I'm just visiting.
>
> > > So as far as we're talking about a web-app where I don't need any
> > > personal information about you as a user, recognizing and
> > > authorizing by email looks like something worth going with. Though I
> > > can imagine a user concerned about not sharing his email who would
> > > choose to register an account with login and password if it allows
> > > him to skip entering email.
> > > What do you think?
>
> > > The app is baked with Cake 1.3 rc1, Authsome (aptly named, so to
> > > speak!) and Blueprint. Quite simple, I'll be adding some features
> > > later :)
>
> > Check out the new CakePHP Questions sitehttp://cakeqs.organdhelp
> > others with their CakePHP related questions.
>
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "CakePHP" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To
> > unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > [email protected] For more options, visit this
> > cake-php+group athttp://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en
>
> Check out the new CakePHP Questions sitehttp://cakeqs.organd help others
> with their CakePHP related questions.
>
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "CakePHP" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To
> unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected] For more options, visit this group
> cake-php+athttp://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with 
their CakePHP related questions.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"CakePHP" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected] For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Reply via email to