Not sure what editors your using but as soon as I type <? my editor
(eclipse) populates with <?php ?> leaving my cursor ready to enter php
commands.
I can't remember the last time I worried about typing to many chars.
Other than posts and email! ;)
I'm sure that some may complain that eclipse is a bloated IDE for
simple php editing, and they may be right. But I spend most of my day
in code (php, java, html, css, javascript, etc) and only launch the
app once a day at most, if for some reason I shut my machine down.

On Mar 16, 11:31 am, cricket <zijn.digi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 11:55 am, Marcelo Andrade <mfandr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > The problem is not only the 6 more chars, but as open short tags are
> > deprecated (and AFAIK will be removed in php 6), if you insist using
> > it, you'll face this kind of problem when deploying you application in
> > other servers.
>
> This is the first I've heard that they are deprecated. That bites! I
> rather prefer them than the alternative. But I agree that they're a
> Bad Idea for any code that will not be under one's control.
>
> I don't use "<?", btw. Just "<?=". I can't imagine why anyone would
> use the former, actually.
>
> As for complaints about them making it more difficult to see, the
> problem would be fixed with better syntax highlighting. They appear
> just fine for me.
>
> For anyone who needs to convert to the ugly, full syntax, do not reach
> for regular expressions. That'll be a pain for anything other than the
> simplest files. A colleague once did this successfully using the
> methods described in the comments here:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/684587/batch-script-to-replace-php...

their CakePHP related questions.