The terms "hasOne", "hasMany", "belongsTo" and "HABTM" and just terms
to make it easier to understand. It doesn't actually mean that one
table belongs to another table 100% of the time, its just the easy way
of saying.

But in your example, it seems like ZipLocation belongsTo State and
State hasMany ZipLocation.

On Mar 18, 12:18 pm, TheHerk <theh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What you say makes sense. It makes sense to me that zip belong to
> states because they really are the further breakdown. What I don't
> understand is relations where child classes have many different
> parents. I assume I am just over-thinking it, as per usual. Maybe it
> really is as simple as it seems. Thank you for your help.
>
> If anybody is willing to look at the entire class diagram and tell me
> if I'm headed down the wrong path or possible have it correct, please
> do so. I'd be happy to email to you.
>
> On Mar 18, 9:00 am, John Andersen <j.andersen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If I understand you correctly, then you consider the ZipLocation to be
> > the parent of the State?
>
> > My understanding of the situation is the reverse, one State may have
> > one or more ZipLocations, so one ZipLocation belongs to one State.
>
> > So your diagram looks correct with regard to the relationship between
> > ZipLocation and State :)
> > Enjoy,
> >    John
>
> > On Mar 18, 4:41 am, TheHerk <theh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Here is a link to a screenshot of a class diagram I am working on,
> > > with noted model associations. There are several relationships in the
> > > diagram that feel wrong to me. The one in the diagram that illustrates
> > > this is between ZipLocation and State. In this case, state is
> > > enumerated in its own table. For some reason, to me, it seems strange
> > > that  ZipLocation, the parent, is belongsTo. I keep thinking in my
> > > head, “Each ZipLocation has one associated State,” but it doesn't seem
> > > to work that way. There are several more instances of this dilemma,
> > > but they are just the same.
>
> > >http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/atomickeg/public/classes.png
>
> > > Does this look remotely correct?

their CakePHP related questions.