It's entirely possible that I may have misread or misunderstood that
example.. but it seemed to me like all the users were again in the ARO
table.  Did I not read that right?

What I should really do is rephrase my question:
Is there a tutorial that would guide me on use the ACL without adding
every one of my users (which there will be a ton of) into the ARO
table needlessly?
Instead I'd like to just add the ones that need special permissions
that exceed group permissions (if there are any at all).
Is this possible and where could I find a guide on it?  :)

Thanks,
James