I'll update the thread with some findings after rooting through the
code a bit.

Looking at the source I found out that -f does not "force 'generate'
to create a new schema.". It is used "To force generation of all
tables into the schema..." but not only that.
It can also be used to force update to ignore the Model classes in the
same way as generate and therefore update a schema generated using the
option.

So, Schema Shell appear to do all the important stuff I need... more
testing will confirm.