Cake magic can only work in a HABTM situation when both records
already exist. For what it's worth I still think you're heading for a
few headaches as previously stated.

How are you going to structure your forms so it allows you to both
select from existing telephone numbers or add multiple new ones?

If covering the Americas, UK or possibly the World how do you provide
a big enough select list that allows a person to chose from already
entered numbers?

Do you allow for spaces in your numbers, if so and you want to
preserve a unique list of numbers is 0191 111 2222 different from
0191112222 and 0191 1112222.

I think in this instance there are so very few people with the same
number that a hasMany relationship with the odd person having the same
number is not a major concern.

Just my tuppence

Paul.

their CakePHP related questions.