John,

This is not quite accurate.

Contact A would never be associated with more than 1 parent entity.  I
know that sounds strange, since it is a HABTM relationship.. but what
I've set up here is a situation where 1 contact table and 1 credential
table can serve 4 parent entities.  This way I have 2 tables instead
of 8.

The situation I am trying to create is similar to what you describe.
If someone deletes a service, the associated records from the
contacts_services, contacts, credentials_services and credentials
tables should also be deleted.

I know there are multiple ways to go about that.. I'm just wondering
what the best way is.

Thanks!

On Apr 8, 1:23 pm, John Andersen <j.andersen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, I will try to understand what you want to happen using this
> little example:
>
> Service A is related HABTM to Contact A
> Service A is related HABTM to Credential B
> Service B is related HABTM to Contact A
> Service B is related HABTM to Credential A
>
> Let's say that Service A is deleted - do you want automatically also
> to delete Contact A and Credential B?
>
> Is the above example something which can happen in your system?
>
> Enjoy,
>    John
>
> On Apr 8, 1:16 am, Joshua Taylor <jo...@digitaldoginc.com> wrote:> I have a
> system with the following logical setup:
>
> > Machine, Service, Client and Project HABTM Contact and Credential
>
> > Contact and Credential HABTM Machine, Service, Client and Project
>
> > It is set up this way so that I can have one table for Contact and
> > Credential.  This may not be the best way to approach the situation
> > (I'm no DB guru), so I'm open to suggestions, but I still need to have
> > a solution for the database schema that I've already set up.
>
> > So, here's my dilemma (example):
>
> > If a Service is deleted, I need to delete its associated Contact and
> > Credential records.
>
> > Since HABTM relationships don't have a dependency property, how do I
> > accomplish this (in a non-convoluted way)?

their CakePHP related questions.