Hi,
Plugins do work. I have whole apps build with a limited core and
numerous plugins (22 of them in one case).

I can think of a few details to double-check.

I don't think you should have plugins named in camelCase. Try naming
the folder and the urls you try pizza_order instead. (The plugin in
the manual is simply named pizza btw)

app/plugin/poll/
the plugins folder should be named plugins (with an s). You write it
in singular form without the s in one place.

Plugins must have the equivalent of pizza_app_controller.php and
possible pizza_app_model.php too. Without them the plugin will not be
"found". At least that was the case when I started using plugins, it
may have changed but I still have them in each plugin.

The final detail I can think of is some rewrite detail messing with
you. Unlikely but since I never run apps as anything but their own
vhost I can't be 100% how plugins react to being in a subfolder. (as
in localhost/apname/)

Those are all long-shots but they are all I can think of that might be
the cause.
Good luck.
/Martin