In config/core.php near the top of the file you can find instructions for
making cake work using its own internal rewrite.

but its worth trying the ,htaccess again like this RewriteBase  is used once
per .htaccess

Here are the blog/webroot/.htaccess

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   RewriteEngine On
   RewriteBase /blog/webroot
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
   RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]
</IfModule>

and blog/.htaccess

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   RewriteEngine on
   RewriteBase /blog
   RewriteRule    ^$    webroot/    [L]
   RewriteRule    (.*) webroot/$1    [L]
 </IfModule>

give that a try - you may have to use internal rewrite - and investigate the
specifics of mod rewrite on your system (what is the setting of allowoveride
in you apache)

my vhost directives within virtual hosts are like so - if allowoverride is
none change that to all and it may make it work
 <directory "/../example.com/html">
AllowOverride All
 Options -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
 </directory>

hth - S

also if your message does not come through it may be because it is pending
moderation - soo much spam out there