I have 2 tables and models 'Friend' and 'Message'. I have a belongsTo
association between them, and this is all working fine.

The select box in my form is being populated with the correct field, that's
perfect, BUT when the form is submitted it saves the ID of that field not
the name. Which is obvious as its a INTEGAR field.

But I would like to find out if it's at all possible to ALSO save the name
that shows in the drop down-list. So let's say the drop-down list is
populated with different types of fruits (apples, oranges, cherries and
peaches) but when the form is submitted/saved it doesn't save the name of
the fruit it saves the ID of that field. Is there anyway to also save the
name of the fruit into the database?

I am new to CakePHP so I am utterly clueless, but would really appreciate
some help.