Thanks for the advice guys. I've taken the path of least resistance
and left everything in the webroot/img directory. I simply make my www
directory the target of an svn export. So...

svn export --force <repo path> www

This will output my svn repo to www and the --force flag ensures I
don't wipe out the user added images.

Thanks again!