I never uses other than $form->input() myself, so never saw your
issue. Although I do use the "type" option in order to ensure a
correct field type - not relying on the automagic of the $form->input
method :)

About now it would be good to hear something from one of the CakePHP
experts, so hopefully one will show up :)
Enjoy,
   John

On May 23, 6:41 pm, Ed Propsner <crotchf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @John
>
> You're right, I went back and looked and I was indeed using $form->input()
> on the earlier forms. I understand that $form->input has a bit of
> "automagic" that comes along with it but I honestly never would have never
> given a second thought that $form->select() wouldn't be so concerned with
> validation. My forms aren't just a select fields, they are a mixed bag of
> all kinds of elements (would that make a diff?) although none are using
> $form->input() at this point. I'm not sure why I switched to coding the form
> elements differently in the first place, I guess I figured that if there's a
> specific tag available for the job, why not use it? It says right in the
> book under the form helper description "FormHelper focuses on creating forms
> quickly, in a way that will streamline validation, re-population and
> layout". I had my sights set on the part about streamlining validation but
> then again, it does validate.
>
> Since they are both form helpers what would make the difference of why one
> displays the errors and the other don't? They both re-populate and do
> everything else they are supposed to. I would imagine that if you didn't
> want the message you could just omit 'message' => from the validation in the
> model. If what you're saying is indeed correct then I don't feel entirely
> foolish over this one. It would be very misleading to have some form helpers
> display the messages while others don't and not have that clearly defined in
> the book (or am I missing that part?).
>
> Thanks John
>
> - Ed

[snip]