Trying to learn so my apologies if I use terminology in a wonky way.

If I have a model and the data for the model is going to be kept in a
database but the database will be updated based on an XML file
somewhere. I don't want to read the XML file often because it is a
shared resource so I only want to update the database if the greatest
timemodified is < the modify date of the file.

Is the best way to do this in the view when I try to read the database
if it needs updating call a function?  If so, where should this
function live in a controller preceded by _ (eg _update_database)?

their CakePHP related questions.