A rather unusual question maybe, but I'd like to use cake's auth in a
seperate php file. I tried checking what's in the session, but that
one seems to be empty?

Here's what i want to do: I have a simple file manager and when the
user is logged in (no matter what group, so basically i only need a
yes/no answer, doesn't matter who), he should be allowed to see the
entire file structure. if not, only a part.

important to notice i guess: file manager and cakephp site run on the
same domain (and same subdomain).

I've tried using the cookie and session components in cakephp and then
printing the $_SESSION (after a session_start() of course) and
$_COOKIE arrays, but those seemed empty except for a CAKEPHP value.

Any help appreciated!

their CakePHP related questions.