>Which roadmap are you referring to? ...  doesn't mention anything about PHP5
>hacks, only removing PHP4 hacks,

I meant PHP4 hacks. It was a typo, sorry.

> incremental upgrades defeats the purpose of a major version
> number change.

If it is possible to decouple some of the new development items from
the "major rework", it might be best to release that new development
first, as a early release.
eg. the PHPUnit-based testing framework.

> If they were going to continue with incremental
> upgrades to 1.x, then it wouldn't make sense to call it CakePHP 2.x.

You can call it whatever you like.  Not to harp on an example, but the
difference between a 1.3 based on php4, and a new release which is
php5 only and has a totally new testing framework based on PHPUnit, is
still a fairly major incremental piece of development. It doesn't
matter to me if it's called cake 1.4.

> Users are already able to download 2.0 and will continue to have
> access to the latest builds so that they can try the latest features
> (on a development/test server of course) and give feedback to the
> developers.

One cannot compare the user adoption rate you'd get with development
releases, with what you'd get if there were smaller and frequent
production quality releases.

Assuming (perhaps this assumption is incorrect, maybe so) one can
decouple significant portions of new development so they can be
released earlier as quality production releases, I don't see the
benefit in releasing a "big bang".

their CakePHP related questions.