I dunno, I actually got Cake 1.3 set up on a Ubuntu Server (10.4)
server pretty easily. To enable a module that isn't enabled by
default, just use a2enmod. I didn't realize the Ubuntu Apache package
came with that command, so I actually did it manually at first. I also
wasn't used to the modular configurations, which was different from
how it is in Windows. But it's not too hard to figure out. Actually
hammering out the bugs in gnome and the OS itself was much more
challenging than actually setting up the web server and Cake IMO.

The only advice I have is to look at the modules-available directory
before you try to manually change the config files to enable a module.
A lot of the documentation or articles online have a different name
for the mod_rewrite module than the one that is actually used in
Ubuntu. So if you follow those instructions to add the module
manually, it will throw an error saying the file couldn't be found.
But if you just use a2enmod (which just copies the config file from
modules-available to modules-enabled) to enable mod_rewrite, then it
will work perfectly.