I have been looking through the documentation and tutorials regarding
changing the default layout. When the home page is loaded it states
"To change its layout, edit: C:\CakePHP\uniform\UniServer\www
\project1\views\layouts\default.ctp" however, the other articles that
I have read state that creating a default.thml file will override the
default style. When I try to create a default.thml in \views\layouts\
the page does not render the new layout. When I alter the default.ctp
file it does. It seems (at least from what I have read) that both .ctp
and .thml are views files. Can someone explain the difference between
them and maybe suggest what I might be doing wrong?  Thank you in
advance.

their CakePHP related questions.