Euromark is correct and I was wrong. Cake uses Sha1 [remember setting the salt]. the md5 thing was something I wrote. Sorry i did not differentiate between my code and the code that was baked.

If I create a simple app, for instance users, with a username, email and password field.
Is cake intelligent enough to add encryption to the password field?