$this->ModelName->create() [[NB NOT created ]] does exactly what it says it
will; it creates a new record. In any event, your two blocks of code are
different; one has a create statement, the other does not. What you should
check is whether there is an id element in your data array. If there is one,
Cake will update that row. If there isn't one, Cake will create a new row.

Jeremy Burns
Class Outfit

jeremybu...@classoutfit.com
http://www.classoutfit.com