Hi Hugo,
I really like the scaffolding-feature, and for my purpouse it's often
enough. I was looking for the same as you where, and have a suggestion
(a little late, though...):
Add the following code to the scaffold edit-view where you want the
empty values to display:

$scaffoldFields=array_flip($scaffoldFields);
foreach($scaffoldFields as &$v){
        $v=array('empty'=>'');
}

The form is created with the code below (this is the standard scaffold
edit code in 1.2):

echo $form->create();
echo $form->inputs($scaffoldFields, array('created', 'modified',
'updated'));
echo $form->end(__('Submit', true));

Now, all select-boxes will have an empty option on top.

I think it is a little strange that all questions regarding
customizing scaffolded views are answered with 'scaffolding is not
ment to be customized' ... I mean, if all you need is a simple
scaffolded view with a little twist, it's a nice feature. It should be
a goal that the scaffolding-feature is as robust and flexible as
possible.

regards Jonas