I have a form that is built using the Form helper. Its data array has
a nested set of models (so I have fields such as Model1.field_name,
Model2.0.field_name etc). Some of the models are correctly picking up
that their fields are required (as defined by using the notEmpty
validation rule) and therefore producing a 'required' class on their
surrounding dviv, whilst others are not. I have disabled all forms of
caching during development - so it's not that.

What is the golden rule to make this work consistently?

their CakePHP related questions.