I ran into this problem too.

First, make sure ssl is enabled on your server.

Next, make sure you format all email addresses in the following way:
$this->Email->to = 'Recipient <some...@somedomain.com>';

Note the "<" and ">" around the actual email address.  Google's SMTP
server requires this.
You must also do this for sender email, reply-to address, etc.  In
other words, whenever you enter an email address, make sure it's
surrounded by those carrots.

On Sep 23, 10:52 am, pang <y...@tagroup.se> wrote:
> I met a strange problem while using gmail as SMTP server.
>
> What I want to do is to send bulk email with my domain email
> serv...@tagroup.se,
>
> I used cakephp Email component to handle this , I followed exact
> configuration as mentioned in links below (CakePHP official tutorial
> site), but the email can't be sent
>
> http://book.cakephp.org/view/1290/Sending-A-Message-Using-SMTP
>
> My configuration is as follows:
>
>         'port'=>'465',
>         'timeout'=>'30',
>         'host' => 'ssl://smtp.gmail.com',
>         'username'=>'serv...@tagroup.se',
>         'password'=>'xxxxxxxx'
>
> But mail can't be sent. Do I need to set any more parameters?

their CakePHP related questions.