It depends what your priorities are, your personal experiences with frameworks
and who you believe.

The major benefit of a framework is that it cuts down the bulk of the code you
need to write, and that code will (probably) be better than you could write
yourself. So if time to market is critical, a framework is a good head start.
And that core code is always being worked on and improved, so your code will
benefit from that development effort.

If you are a master whizz bang bleeding edge developer that might not be
attractive to you. And you might have heard of bad experiences with frameworks
and might well want to muddy the waters because you can or you feel like it.
But a framework is just a set of tools with which you can build something
bigger and better. If you use them badly you'll get a bad site, and that might
lead to bad publicity for the framework - which is probably unjust. I have
sites that peak at 200,000 hits per hour without breaking a sweat and without
running on stupid hardware. So my experiences with frameworks (well, having
looked at most frameworks I've only ever used CakePHP) have been totally
satisfactory. So you pick who you believe.

There has been quite a bit of banter on this forum about Cake's capacity and
trying to measure performance relative to other frameworks, but I've yet to see
anything that makes me think that it isn't up to the job or that it is the best
thing since sliced bread. In fact it's all probably an intellectual w*nk and a
complete waste of time.

My advice? Don't think about it too much, give it a go yourself and form your
own opinion.

Jeremy Burns
Class Outfit

jeremybu...@classoutfit.com