On Oct 18, 2:57 pm, euromark <dereurom...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> using IPs is not very smart
> they can change every now and then. and then you would have blocked
> yourself as well.

You talk as if the OP asked for a permanent access solution.

Updating your own ip address in a .htaccess file would take about 30s.
Throughout the day entering a password a few times, if your in the
process of updating the site's contents, adds up to a fair bit more.

Personally even if you password protect something (as I also
suggested), I'd rather not see the form myself and just get let in.
Especially if your site is made up of multiple subdomains as otherwise
you'll get a password prompt for each domain - probably not relevant
to the case at hand but it certainly demonstrates the inconvenience of
the technique when you get n password prompts for the n subdomains
your site uses.

Josh if you /want/ to use an IP filter and exclude your own co
workers, you could use X-Forwarded-For restricted to your internal ip.
But given you'd already added a custom header, it's probably simpler
to just use that. You would only need to edit your webroot/.htaccess
file because given you used a production install for a production site
(didn't you ;) ) the other two .htaccess files are irrelevant.

AD

their CakePHP related questions.