i agree that this would be handy at some point
but it helps to keep the layers separated
otherwise one would be tempted to read/write to the DB in the views

i usually use static model methods for this

/** static **/
function isRent($data) {
 return !empty($data[$this->alias]['rent_user_id']);
}

you can now call it anywhere (model, controller, behavior, view)
be sure you pass the data, though

PS: actually it has another upside. you can use it inside iterations
as well - like in foreach() loops in the view

On 28 Okt., 11:13, psybear83 <psybea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> Something I don't really like in CakePHP is that one seems to be
> always only working with the $data array instead of "real" model
> instances. I hate to name Ruby on Rails again, but in RoR, I normally
> pass a model instace to a view, and there I can do handy stuff like
> calling methods on that model etc.
>
> But in CakePHP it seems normal to only pass the $data of the model. So
> I can't call any methods on it.
>
> For example, I have a Medium (e.g. a book) model that can be rent. It
> has a method isRent():
>
> function isRent() {
>   return !empty($this->data['Medium']['rent_user_id']);
>
> }
>
> So when the rent_user_id is empty, the medium is rent to that user.
>
> It would be really handy to use this method also in a view, but it
> seems I can't. Is the only solution to set another parameter for the
> view, like so?
>
> $this->set('isRent', $model->isRent());
>
> Thanks for help
> Josh