You can put it anywhere, but the default security restrictions keep
you from accessing anything outside of httpdocs.  These can easily be
changed in the php.ini file or on a per-domain basis in the vhost.conf
file.  The setting you'd be looking for would be to set
open_basedir=none

As far as permissions, you need to 777 the tmp/ directory and
subdirectories

Hope that helps,
Nathan