Nah, deffo not doing anything wrong, just getting used to the
framework :)

Although I do advise spending time trying to do everything to the best
of your ability first time around.  You will reuse a lot of CRUD code
throughout other models/controllers/views.  With my first CakePHP
project I had over 50 models and by the time I had finished I had
probably bettered my early model/contoller/views twice.

Nothing worse than having one model expecting variables in a different
way to another and possibly behaving different across one app.

HTH, Paul

their CakePHP related questions.