I have read dozens of tutorials and examples of ACL in action.  Every
one of them runs under the premise that the user has only one role or
group_id.  I'm working on a project right now where there are multiple
'systems.'  A user can belong to one or more systems and for each
system, the user may have a different role.

For example, user 'Bob' belongs to the billing system where he is a
administrator, to the communication system where he is a standard
user, and to the calendar system where he is also an administrator.
Can CakePHP's ACL be tweaked to handle that many to many relationship
between the three tables--user, group, and system?

their CakePHP related questions.