OK, thought a bit more about this topic. What about when a User has
two UserProfile records in the database table pointing at him? In this
case, CakePHP simply seems to take the first one and ignores the
second.

But somehow this seems unclean to me: why is the foreign key stored in
the UserProfile's table, and not in the User's table?

Instead of Users.user_profile_id, we could use UserProfiles.user_id?
This way there could really only one UserProfile record belong a User
record...?