On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Stephen
<step...@ninjacodermonkey.co.uk> wrote:
> I personally would present a optional field in the table for an introduction
> paragraph (optional), if the admin didn't want to write an introduction
> paragraph I would then fall back onto creating an excerpt with php/cakephp
> and simply ammend "..." to the end with a read more link.

Same thing I usually do--have both body/content and intro. Except that
I create the truncated version for intro upon save (if intro doesn't
exist, obviously) so that it's unnecessary to do so when displaying
the view (caching aside,, of course).

> I would allow the admin to set the amount of characters as a preference.

But where do you save the pref? I just set the length as a class var
in the model. That means that it's not configurable by an admin, but
there's unlikely to be a need to changed it much.

their CakePHP related questions.