Hi John,

I do use a plugin to manage permissions and it seems to work quite
well
although I still prefer the shell interface for adding/removing aro/
aco
and creating permissions on the fly.

The grey area for me right now is authorizing CRUD vs. otherActions.
I know that I can use Auth->mapActions and treat otherActions as CRUD
but I assumed that Auth->authorize='actions' would allow me grant/
deny
permissions on that action regardless of what the action does in
relation
to CRUD.

I guess I'm still a bit confused here.

On Jan 15, 11:02 pm, John Maxim <goog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> You can customise your users permission using ACL plugin. I suggest
> finding one on your own, the current one I use has a drawback when I
> have over 10 groups with different permission settings. The role
> permission setting stops working. However, it's still effective if I
> view users roles or users permission, and from there we can customise
> the users permission.
>
> You may want to refer to this:
>
> http://www.alaxos.net/blaxos/pages/view/7
>
> I'm not sure if you can find a better one or make one. The recommended
> ACL plugins can be found here:
>
> Mark Story's ACL extras and menu components.
>
> http://josediazgonzalez.com/2010/08/16/cakephp-plugins-a-biblical-ret...
>
> If anytime you managed to get one working better than any above, share
> with me.
>
> :-)
>
> Best regards,
> Maxim.
>
> On Jan 16, 9:59 am, Ed Propsner <crotchf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I've been plugging away with Cake for some time now with extremely few
> > issues. I recently decided that ACL was the right choice for my app ... now
> > I have issues :)
>
> > I've toyed with it long enough now that I understand the concept and
> > mechanics of it but the issue I'm having is this:
> > When granting access, it seems to be all or nothing. If I take the Group
> > users for example, access has to be at
> > CRUD 1 1 1 1 or sitewide access is denied. Changing it to CRUD 1 1 1 0
> > denies access not just to the controller or parts of it,
> > but the entire app. I was assuming that ultimately I would be able deny
> > access to any controller/action that I want but it
> > doesn't seem to be working out that way for me.
>
> > What I am overlooking here? I referenced the tutorial in the book when
> > putting the ACL together so the set-up is
> > very straightforward. I didn't try to do anything fancy or creative with it,
> > it's all by the book.

their CakePHP related questions.