Actually you can do exactly what you say with CakePHP ACL. By default,
the AclComponent allow() and deny() methods save 1 and -1 respectively
for all fields _create, _read, _update and _delete. Then if you use
the AclComponent to check if a user is authorized to do some actions,
the check() method simply returns a boolean, used to grant or deny
access.

I have never used the specific values of _create, _read, _update and
_delete, but I guess they are more useful in other situations, but not
to check users permissions on actions. At least in my case, the
aros_acos table contains only records with four 1, or four -1.

Regards,
nIcO