Okay, I think I've found out why it isn't working - the Javascript in
the Ajax response is coming through surrounded in CDATA tags, which is
why it's getting stripped.

I can't remember if JS has always come back in CDATA tags because like
I said, it was working at one point, which would indicate JS wasn't
coming back within CDATA tags.