Dave - I got a perfect solution to this a few days ago from Zaky Katalan-Ezra.
My challenge wasn't connecting to a remote db via SSH using a client (I use
Sequel Pro) as that works great. What I wanted to do was to create a
database.php configuration that would allow a local Cake app to connect to the
remote db, which means that all (distributed) developers can develop and test
against a single database.

For good measure, here is Zaky's response:

edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config on your local machine
Add:
AllowTcpForwarding yes
GatewayPorts yes

restart sshd

Edit my.cnf on remote machine.
Uncomment the following line.
bind-address           = 127.0.0.1
restart mysql

On you local machine run the following command
ssh -i e-keypair -f remoteu...@remote.com -N -L 4444:localhost:3306
If you are not using ssh key you will be prompt for remote user assword

Edit database.php

var $default = array(
        'driver' => 'mysqli',
        'persistent' => false,