I think I don't really understand your answer. :-)

In views I can use $this->element(...), and I'd like to call this
function in a helper's method... at the time being, I pass $this to
the method:

// View
echo $this->MyHelper->element($paras..., $this);

// Helper
function element($params..., &$view) {
  return $view->element(...);
}

...but it would be nice if I didn't have to pass it...