Nick Baker aka WebtechNick has a settings plugin

you can also add settings from with app/config/bootstrap.php

$imageSettings = array();
$imageSettings['thumb'] = array(125, 200);
$imageSettings['large'] = array(400, 600);

Configure::write('Site.images', $imageSettings);

then elsewhere $thumbSizes = Configure::read('Site.images.thumb');

debug($thumbSizes); // outputs

Array
(
    [0] => 125
    [1] => 200
)

(Just noticed that Tom has replied with much of the info I would add here)

you would use this none plugin method.

Nick plugin is here (other simular plugins exist too)
https://github.com/webtechnick/CakePHP-Configuration-Plugin