Hi Stephen,

You can't do a manual join with this DataSource because the table doesn't
exists in the DB.

My tip is: (*I don't know if this approach works for your needs)
Remove the ArraySource's model from the join query.
At the controller gets a list of all the elements with find('list').
At the iteration in view use the data array returned from original query and
the find('list') together.

Ex.:
-- Controller
$join_data = $this->Model->find();  // Get some data here with the original
join without the relation with ArraySource model
$some_values = $this->Model->ModelWithArraySource->find('list');

-- View
foreach ($join_data as $ja):
  echo $some_values[$ja[Model][model_with_array_source_id]];
endforeach;

Let me know if it solves your problem.

HTH,
LipeDjow