Just an FYI, I've experienced situations like this where Firebug and
the View Source seems so different.
Everytime I've seen this I've missed placing a closing tag or forgot
to include a required wrapping tag. As an example I had forgot a <tr>
so my <td>'s were not conained correctly.
Not sure which one (firefox or firebug) does it but one of them tries
its best to correct the html so the data can be displayed.

I'd look for a missing ending tag or invalid structure in your output
before you send it to the browser, could be in your layout or how you
generate the view.
I know the Html helper has caught me a few times on div and spans as
one format to the $this->Html->div() will return a fully closed tag
and one format will only return the open tag and you need to close it
off in a separate call.