I managed to work out a solution for this, and I released it as a
library so everyone can use it. I've written in my blog about it.

- Why web tests using the development database are a bad thing:
http://josh.ch/wordpress/?p=8
- Finally: use fixtures with your CakePHP web tests!:
http://josh.ch/wordpress/?p=71

I hope somebody else will find this useful. :-) Please leave a message
if you try it... I'm happy to optimize it further.