"post it to a URL handled by a controller implementing the uploader,"

This is what I don't know how to do.  Currently the controller is
handling the upload and just placing the file into a folder.

My code.
        function app_photo() {
                // what layout to use
                $this->layout = 'ajax';

                // this helps determine any errors
                error_reporting(E_ALL);
                ini_set("display_errors", 1);

                $target_path = WWW_ROOT .'media/transfer/img/';
                $target_path = $target_path .  $_FILES['media']['name'];

                // if we moved the image reply with the image name

if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['media']['tmp_name'],$target_path)) {
                        echo basename( $_FILES['media']['name']);

My guess is that after I have moved the file would try to invoke the
media plugin to duplicate the file, create the proper sizes and
deposit them in the proper folders. But how do I tell the plugin to do
that?

Thanks.