In an effort to make sure that only active users can log into the
application I've added the following in my app_controller

function beforeFilter() {
        $this->Auth->userScope = array('User.active' => 1);

    }

and the following in my login function under my users_controller

function login() {

        if ($this->Session->read('Auth.User')) {
            $active = $this->Auth->user('active');
            if ($active) {
                //(do stuff)
            }
            else {
                //(do other stuff)
but when testing I am still able to login with inactive users.
Furthermore if I try to debug or echo in the app_controller-
>beforeFilter function it doesn't even print anything out which makes
me thing the function isn't being called in the first place.

I've read the cake documentation on the topic - what am i doing wrong
here?