I don't think many people have done extensive benchmarking of 2.0
against 1.3.  I've done a bit myself, and there were some speed gains,
but at the same time trying to build an application against an
unstable code base is usually a bad idea.

Have you done any profiling to find out what specifically is slow?
You mention its slow, but no real reason why, or where the slowness is
coming from.  Perhaps digging into that will help?

-Mark