Thanks. :-)

Rishab
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

-----Original Message-----
From: cricket <zijn.digi...@gmail.com>
Sender: cake-php@googlegroups.com
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:23:20
To: <cake-php@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: issues with document root and rewrite urls

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Rishab Jain <jairis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a setup where I want the document root to set to the main
> directory where my application is residing.
>
> Currently, the path to my directory is something like this:
> /var/www/html/dev.mydomain.com/aaa/code_project/
>               app/
>               cake/
>               index.php
>               plugins
>               README
>               vendors
>
> Now the point where all this started was when I was writing URLs for
> my navigation tabs.
>
> For eg, to access the tab 'inbox', I wanted to write the URL in the
> file to be was '/inbox/'. But when I did that, the URL actually
> pointed to http://dev.mydomain.com/inbox/. I guess that means my
> document root is not pointing to the code_project directory but to the
> dev.mydomain.com directory.

That looks correct. Maybe you typed the wrong thing? These are equivalent:

http://dev.mydomain.com/inbox/
/inbox/

The only difference is that one has the full domain information.

> I wrote the following line in the .htaccess file,
>
> <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
>   RewriteEngine on
>   RewriteRule    ^$ app/webroot/    [L]
>   RewriteRule    (.*) app/webroot/$1 [L]
>
>  # this line was added by me
>  #DocumentRoot
> /var/www/html/dev.mydomain.com/aaa/bbb/code_project/app/webroot/
> </IfModule>
>
> But, when I tried accessing the url, it gave me a 500 error.
>
> Can anybody help me gaining knowledge of how exactly this thing works
> and how to set it all up?

You're on the right track, but DocumentRoot should not be placed
there. In fact, it must not appear anywhere inside an htaccess file.
It belongs in the main httpd.conf or that of a virtual host.

If you have the ability to edit those, do so. And also disable
htaccess there as it will speed up requests moderately.

-- snip --
DocumentRoot /path/to/site/app/webroot

<Directory "/path/to/site/app/webroot">
       Options FollowSymLinks

       # disable .htaccess
       AllowOverride None

       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all

       DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

       # copied from app/webroot/.htaccess
       <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
               RewriteEngine On
               RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
               RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
               RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]
       </IfModule>
</Directory>
-- snip --