The validation in the join model I created is being ignored.  How can
I go about debugging the validation?

I have additional fields in the join table in addition to the IDs.
The HABTM saves are so elegant that I'm hesitant to break them into
hasManys.  In what ways is keeping it a HABTM limiting and at what
point should I switch it to two hasManys instead?