On Apr 14, 2011, at 14:49, stas kim wrote:

> This might help
>>
> http://www.pseudocoder.com/Super_Awesome_Advanced_CakePHP_Tips.pdf
>
> search 'Case Insensitive'

I haven't read the rest of that document, but the Case Insensitive section is
certainly inaccurate. Its first sentence "Generally Internet URLs are case
insensitive" is false. As I explained previously in this thread, URLs are
generally case-sensitive. The example given in the document (the CakePHP
Wikipedia page) only works because someone has gone an installed a redirect
page that redirects the all-lowercase version to the correctly-cased version.
You can easily demonstrate the case-sensitivity of Wikipedia URLs by trying to
access some other case permutation of the URL, such as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAKEphp

Furthermore, the advice given on how to make CakePHP case-insensitive is poor,
because it allows multiple URLs (i.e. all case variations) to appear to be
authoritative for a resource. For SEO reasons, and for reasons of general
sanity, you want only one single URL (e.g. the lowercase one) to be the
canonical URL of a resource. So a better solution would be one that occurs
before CakePHP's routes (e.g. something in the web server, e.g. mod_rewrite if
you're using Apache) and sends all non-canonical versions of a URL to the
canonical URL using a 301 Moved Permanent redirect, as already discussed
previously in this thread.