You could use this to change to a different layout file in the
beforeFilter() method of your app_controller.php file

$this->layout = 'loggedin';

and create a loggedin.ctp file in your layouts directory. This file
can then look complety different to default.ctp

I have a few different layouts setup dependant on different user types
I have setup in my application, and switch between them in
beforeFilter.