I have "Parts" which has a type. The type can be a part or an
assembly.

A part is just that, a single part, whereas a part that's has a type
of assembly is a collection of parts and/or other assemblies. So I
need a table to link one records in Parts to one or more other records
in the same Parts table.

I have  AssyData which is a link table which has part_id and
assy_part_id.  The problem is the table links two ID's in the same
Parts table.  All the docs and tutorials seem to assume you are
linking two different tables. Can CakePHP handle that or will I have
to have a table for Parts and a separate table for Assemblies, then
have the link table link those two tables?

Thanks,
Mike