Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Honey Apple Cake

"I've been making oatmeal cake for my family for more than 45 years. Several
years ago I revised the recipe, eliminating vegetable oil and using thick,
chunky applesauce for added moistness. I replaced granulated sugar with
honey, which gave the cake more flavor. The original frosting called for
coconut, but I chose almonds, a more healthful option." -Barbara Estabrook,
Rhinelander, Wisconsin

16 servings (serving size: 1 cake piece and 1 tablespoon topping)

Cake:
1  cup  quick-cooking oats
1  cup  hot water
1 1/2  cups  all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
2  teaspoons  ground cinnamon
1  teaspoon  baking soda
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1 1/3  cups  packed light brown sugar
3/4  cup  chunky applesauce
1/3  cup  honey
2  large eggs
Cooking spray

Frosting:
1/4  cup  butter
1/3  cup  packed light brown sugar
1/4  cup  honey
1/2  cup  coarsely chopped almonds, toasted

Remaining ingredients:
1  cup  frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
Ground cinnamon (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare cake, combine oats and 1 cup hot water in a small bowl; set
aside.

. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine
flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Combine 1 1/3 cups
sugar, applesauce, 1/3 cup honey, and eggs in a large bowl; beat with a
mixer at high speed 1 minute. Add oat mixture; beat at low speed until well
blended. Add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat well. Add
remaining flour mixture; beat well. Spoon batter into an 11 x 7-inch baking
dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 48 minutes or until a
wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Place dish on a wire rack.

4. To prepare frosting, melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium
heat. Add 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup honey; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly,
stirring constantly. Stir in almonds. Quickly pour frosting over cake;
spread evenly using a rubber spatula.

5. Preheat broiler.

6. Broil cake 1 minute or until frosting is bubbly and golden. Cool
completely on a wire rack. Serve with whipped topping; sprinkle with ground
cinnamon, if desired.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: