Seven-Layer Ricotta Torte Cake by Robin Benzle'
Huge raves for little effort.
This is one of my favorite no-bake cakes for birthdays, impressing guests,
or if I just feel like completely indulging in rich decadence.

Start off by cheating with a frozen pound cake, jazz it up with sweetened
ricotta cheese, chocolate and nuts; finish with the frosting of your choice
and you shall make 8 people very happy.

1 frozen pound cake (they run about 10 3/4 ounces)
1 container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons cream or light cream
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Amaretto almond liquor (or Kahlua, etc.)
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Carefully slice frozen cake horizontally into 4 layers with a sharp carving
knife.

In a medium bowl, mix together by hand ricotta cheese, cream, sugar,
Amaretto, chocolate chips and walnuts. Generously spread the ricotta mixture
on three of the layers, putting one on top of the other and pressing down
gently. Put the last cake layer on top, browned side down. Put on a pretty
plate and frost with your favorite frosting. I like to decorate the top with
walnuts or more chocolate or other candies, depending on the occasion.
Finally, refrigerate at least 12 hours, uncovered, before serving.

Note on the frosting: I prefer a rich buttercream frosting for this
particular cake. I'm glad to share my recipe for Espresso Buttercream
Frosting with you:

1 package (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon instant espresso crystals
2 tablespoons Amaretto almond liquor
1 1/2 sticks unsweetened butter, chilled and cut into chunks
1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar

Melt chocolate chips and espresso in the top of a double boiler over very
low heat. Let cool a little and stir in Amaretto. In a food processor, cream
the butter along with the espresso mixture until smooth. Mix in the powdered
sugar.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: